The National Board for Higher Mathematics (NBHM) was set up by the Government of India under the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), in the year 1983, to foster the development of higher mathematics in the country, to formulate policies for the development of mathematics, help in the establishment and development of mathematical centres and give financial assistance to research projects and to doctoral and postdoctoral scholars. NBHM functions essentially autonomously framing its own budget taking into account the funds made available by DAE. The objectives of the board are: to promote the growth of higher mathematics in the country; and to coordinate activities for the development of mathematics. The functions of the NBHM are:
- To continuously evolve and implement policies and programmes for the development of mathematics in the country.
- To help in the establishment and development of mathematical centres.
- To give financial assistance to research projects and to doctoral and postdoctoral scholars.
- To assess the nature and extent of mathematical inputs necessary in applications sophisticated mathematics is involved. and to suggest steps for training adequate personnel especially in areas where
- To determine the funds required for these activities and to administer these funds through suitable machinery set up for this purpose.
NBHM usually meets twice a year, to discuss its programmes and various proposals received from its board members as well as from mathematicians all over the country. It has six sub-committees; viz. the Research Programmes Committee, the University Programmes Committee, the Mathematics Olympiad Programmes Committee, Nurture Programmes Committee, Examinations Committee and Library Grants Committee. They consider proposals, throughout the year, for financial support for varied mathematical activities, from institutions and individuals. Decisions of NBHM are based on the recommendations of these committees. The responsibilities of various committees are described in Annexure I. NBHM normally provides financial support only to Indian nationals and institutions. Currently NBHM grants postdoctoral fellowships, Ph. D. scholarships, M.A./M.Sc. scholarships for research/education in mathematics. NBHM provides financial support to the Mathematics Olympiad activity, run in collaboration with the Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education, for students at the junior college/high school level. NBHM provides financial support for holding conferences/seminars/workshops and instructional schools. Granting financial support to libraries of mathematics departments of universities and research institutions in the country is one of the major activities of NBHM.